Last updated: October 26, 2021
Black in Alaska is a Website that features and shares the stories of Alaskans who are Black. Users of our Website may choose to submit their own personal story, and those who submit their stories may be featured on our Website and social media platforms.
• We, us, or our refers to Black in Alaska, a project under Rasmuson Foundation, 301 W. Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 601, Anchorage, Alaska 99503.
• Provided Personal Information means data that you provide to us through our website when you choose to submit a story.
• General Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, generated either by your use of our Website or from the Website infrastructure itself.
• Personal Data refers to both Provided Personal Information and General Use Data.
• Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes or manages Personal Data on our behalf, including third-party companies or individuals employed by us to facilitate the Website, to perform services related to the Website, or to assist us with the Website.
• Website refers to Black in Alaska, accessible at https://blackinalaska.org/.
II. Collection of Personal Data
When you visit or interact with our Website, we may collect the following types of data:
A. Provided Personal Information
When you interact with our Website by submitting your story, we collect the personal information contained in your story. It is completely optional for you to submit your story. If you choose to submit a story, we will also ask you to provide, and we will collect:
• Your first and last name; and
• Your email address
B. General Use Data
While using our Website, General Usage Data is collected automatically.
General Usage Data includes information that cannot be used to identify you, including, but not limited to:
• Your browser type or browser version;
• The pages of our Website that you visit; and
• The time and date of your visit and the time spent on those our Website’s pages.
General Usage Data also includes information that is about you but cannot be used to readily identify you, including, but not limited to:
• Your device’s Internet Protocol address (IP address), and unique device identifiers.
When you access the Website by or through a mobile device, we may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to:
• The type of mobile device you use;
• Your mobile device unique ID;
• The IP address of your mobile device; and
• Your mobile operating system; the type of mobile Internet browser you use; unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Website or when you access the Website by or through a mobile device.
• Browser Cookies.
• Flash Cookies.
Our Website may use local stored objects (or flash cookies) to collect and store information about your activity on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for browser cookies. For more information on how you can disable or delete flash cookies, please see Adobe’s flash cookie information page here.
• Web Beacons.
Our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited a part of our Website or for other related website statistics.
III. Use, Disclosure, Transfer and Retention of Personal Data
A. Use of Personal Data
We may use your Personal Data for the following purposes:
• To create content relating to your story, if you have shared your story with us.
• To provide and maintain our Website, including to monitor the usage of our Website.
• We may use your General Use Data for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our campaigns, and to evaluate and improve our Website and your experience.
B. Disclosure of Personal Data
We may share your Personal Data in the following manners:
• With our creative team. If you have agreed to share your story with us, your Provided Personal Information will be shared with our creative team.
• With the public. If you have agreed to share your story with us, your Provided Personal Information may be shared on our Website, our social media platforms, and in emails, advertisements, news releases, magazines, pamphlets, and in whatever other manner or circumstances we, in our sole discretion, find useful and related to the missions of Black in Alaska and Rasmuson Foundation, except that we will not share the email address and phone number you have provided to us with the public.
• To our Service Providers. We may share your General Use Data with our Service Providers to analyze the use of our Website or improve our Website.
• Other circumstances where disclosure is necessary. We may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do by law or in response to a valid request by a court or governmental agency. We also may disclose your personal data if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, protect or defend our rights or property, prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with our Website, protect the personal safety of users of our Website or the public; or protect against legal liability.
• With Your consent. We may disclose your Personal Data for any other purpose with your consent.
C. Retention of Personal Data
• If you sign a media release for our benefit regarding your Provided Personal Information, we will retain and use your data in accordance with the media release;
• We will retain and use your personal data to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies; and
• We may also retain your personal data to the extent necessary to strengthen the security or improve the functionality of our Website.
D. Transfer of Personal Data
E. Security of Personal Data
The security of your Personal Data is important to us. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Although we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
IV. Service Providers and Third Parties
A. Service Providers
Our Service Providers may have access to your personal data. These Service Providers collect, store, use, process and transfer information about your activity on our Website in accordance with their privacy policies. The Service Providers we may use include, but are not limited to:
• Google Analytics
We may use Google Analytics to monitor and analyze the use of our Website.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google may use the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Website. The data collected by this service is shared with other Google services.
Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
• Invisible reCAPTCHA
We may use an invisible captcha service named reCAPTCHA.
B. Third Party Websites
Our Website may contain links to other websites that are not operated by us.
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services.
V. Children’s Personal Information
Individuals must be at least 18 years of age to submit a story through our Website. Our website is not directed at or intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. The personal information of a child under the age of 13 may only be provided to us by a child’s parent or legal guardian as part of the parent or legal guardian’s story. If you would like to review, correct, or delete your child’s personal information that was provided to us or that you believe was provided to us please contact us at: email@example.com.
VI. Choices About Personal Data; Policy Changes
A. Your Choices about how we use your Personal Data
Under this Policy, you have the following choices with respect to your Personal Data:
• Delete or Correct Information. If you would like to review, correct, or delete the Provided Personal Information that you provided to us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Personal Information of Children. If you would like to review, correct, or delete your child’s personal information that was provided to us or that you believe was provided to us, please email us at: email@example.com.